The Pantages Playhouse Theatre was managed for years by the Performing Arts Consortium on behalf of the City of Winnipeg, with all work traditionally performed by Local 63. When the city announced it would be inviting offers from other parties to manage the venue, Local 63 determined it was necessary to secure a formal agreement with the Playhouse.
With the assistance of the International, Local 63 filed an application for certification on October 22, 2009 for all stagehands employed by the Performing Arts Consortium at the Pantages Playhouse Theatre. A number of issues were raised, which resulted in the Manitoba Labour Board conducting a hearing on January 26, 2010. The Board ruled in the union’s favour, and a certificate was issued on February 5, 2010. The International will assist Local 63 with the negotiation of its first collective agreement with the theatre.
The Pantages Playhouse opened its doors in 1914 during vaudeville’s heyday and has played a significant role in Winnipeg’s performing arts history ever since. The 1475-seat theatre has been at the heart of the city’s cultural development and has played host to everything from highschool glee club musicals to internationally acclaimed artists.